Monday 16 February 2015

Museum Piece


I have been working on this experimental quilt which was inspired by museums and all the cabinets of specimens they contain. It's about 12 by 12 inches.

First I used dyes, spray inks and stencils to colour a piece of cotton.


I then glued on various collage items with gel medium. There are fabric scraps, book pages, sheet music, old jeans, crochet pieces, scrap papers, dried leaves etc.


I then added images using TAP artists transfer paper. You can get good copyright free images from The Graphics Fairy. Machine zig-zag was then used to outline the sections whilst at the same time anchoring them down even more. Inktense blocks were used to enhance the colour in some areas.


Finally I used free machine embroidery to outline elements and add textures. Here are some close-ups.






No comments:

Post a Comment