Thursday, 27 July 2017

Woodland Ecosystem


I've been using up scraps from other projects to make this textile, woodland, ecosystem piece. Materials and techniques include felt, old book paper, organza, silk paper, free motion stitching, thread painting and burning. The moth is actually mounted wrong side showing because I didn't like the brighter colours on the front.





Wednesday, 26 July 2017

Simple Designs


I've been experimenting with simple shapes and doodles to make interesting designs. Most of these use collage which makes it really easy to experiment with different arrangements and compositions before committing to a design.










Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Art Journal Pages


I've been teaching a bunch of kids how to art journal. Here are a few of my demonstration pages from the class, some not quite completed yet.














Sunday, 16 July 2017

No-Sew Fabric Vessel #2


Here is the second no-sew fabric vessel. This one I stiffened with interfacing made for millinery, It gives a white outline to the leaves which I quite like. This vessel also has some free machine stitching on the leaves so it's not totally no-sew like the first one.





Friday, 14 July 2017

Doodles in Dye


I used up the last dregs of my thickened dyes making these doodles and graffiti on fabric. I applied the dyes straight from a squeezy sauce bottle onto the fabric. They are rather garish, especially the one painted onto a previously stencilled fabric.







Thursday, 13 July 2017

No Sew Fabric Vessel


I have finished the first of my fabric vessels. It's made with acrylic felt and organza fused together with a soldering iron. Not a single stitch in sight.



Wednesday, 12 July 2017

Colourful Deconstructed Screen Prints


I had some dye thickener left over from another project so I used it to make another batch of deconstructed screen prints. This time I remembered to wrap the fabric in plastic so it wouldn't dry out before the dyes had time to react; the result was much brighter prints. I used a few large leaves from my garden to make the patterns on the screens. I didn't clean the leaves when I changed dyes which gave a nice variety on the screen where it picked up colour from the previous screen.