Friday 20 April 2018

Gelli Drawings


Today I tried mono-print drawings with my Gelli plate rather than with a glass sheet. The technique works well on fabric but not at all on paper. With the extra weight of the paper the surface make good contact all over the Gelli and you just end up with a black rectangle. I used a biro, chopstick and skewer to make the marks on the fabric. As the Gelli is so much softer than a glass sheet you need to use only a tiny bit of pressure and remember that if you press too hard with a sharp object like a skewer then you will damage the plate. Because the fabric removes all the ink from the Gelli where you have pressed down you can get a nice inverted colour print from the ink remaining on the plate.  The prints I made today have a softer look than those made with a glass sheet which I like.


Here I used up the remaining ink with a standard Gelli print using a texture plate and paper mask.


No comments:

Post a Comment