Tuesday 31 July 2018

Gouache and Ink Resist Part 1


I'm trying out this gouache and ink resist technique that was shown on DMTV recently. These prints are really difficult to photograph in this dull Perth weather, they have much more colour in real life. In the tutorial on DMTV Linda uses water soluble gouache with waterproof Indian ink. As usual with every new technique I have 2 questions:

1) What other materials would work?
2) Can I do this on fabric?


I mostly followed the instructions for these first prints to see how the technique worked. I did however try both Indian ink and acrylic ink, both of which produced good results. I think I prefer the acrylic ink as it seems easier to remove from the print in the last stage (you'll have to watch the tutorial on DMTV!) than the Indian ink. It's also cheaper, easier to obtain and comes in colours other than black.


Today I have been working on trying out different ideas including having a colourful acrylic background before the gouache is applied; I discovered this technique accidentally by using some scrap brush cleaning paper which already had paint on it (above).  I've also tried coloured inks, fluid acrylics and fabric. They are all drying right now ready to be rinsed tomorrow to reveal their patterns.



No comments:

Post a Comment