Friday 20 July 2018

Line, Negative Space and PhotoShop

text, graphite, photoshop, rubbing

This week's tutorial on DMTV was about using line to emphasise negative space. I decided to take the ideas further and combine them with rubbings, water-soluble graphite, stitch and PhotoShop. First I used masks and stencils to fill negative space with lines and text. The cairn shapes have not been drawn in, but appear from the space as the eye interprets the lines as a solid shape.




I then decided to combine lines and text (drawn in waterproof pen) with rubbings and water-soluble graphite.




Next I interpreted the same technique into stitch. I used my machine's built in lettering and free motion stitching to make lines all across a piece of organza. I made sure to use polyester thread and used wash-away stabiliser whilst sewing. Once the stabiliser was removed I cut out the cairn motif with the soldering iron.



Lastly I photographed the pieces and imported them into PhotoShop where I played with the posterize and stamp filters to give them a real graphic look. I think mono-print might be another way to achieve a similar look. I'll try that next!








No comments:

Post a Comment