Sunday 27 January 2019

Experiments with Printed Landscapes


I don't have any spectacular photographs for you today. What I do have are snaps taken as I experimented with different designs and thought through ideas.

A couple of my printed landscape strips just happened to get placed near each other on the table. This got me thinking about ways to combine several pieces. First I made some basic mock-ups with plain paper.



Did I want separate "mountain ridges" or to have them woven together? Maybe a combination of the 2?


 

Should I be consistent in the length of the zig-zag?


What if I had more than 2 mountain ranges?


And more than 2 mountain ranges woven together?


I came to the conclusion that everything looked pretty awesome so I got Gelli printing some more mountains so I could think about colours. I worked out that the colour needed to change gradually across the mountain ridge, that way I could show 2 or more zig-zags together without there being an obvious join line. The colour on the reverse needed to be contrasting so the mountains were easily seen.


I laid out the mountain ranges on the table. It didn't seem to matter how I arranged them, they still looked great. Perhaps in a gallery the viewer could rearrange them. I think it would be awesome to have an artwork that could be changed when you got bored of it.





I now have to think about how I will incorporate the cairn image into the landscapes. I'll need to use thick interfacing when these are made in fabric. I think it might get tricky to fold so I also need to do some experiments to see how that goes. Check back soon for progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment