Friday 29 March 2019

0 to Quilt in 5 Days - T Minus 2


Today I managed to get all the quilting done, the backing attached and even a hanging sleeve on this piece! I used similar colours for the quilting threads to the colours of the fabric as I wanted the focus to be on the fabric rather than the stitch. The smaller vases are a digital print I made from an original Gelli® mono-print. I used echo quilting around them to emphasise the shape. I used a simple maze design found in ancient pottery for the quilting on the orange stripes. From the back you can see the stitching more easily in the picture.



With still 2 days for before the deadline for QuiltWest entries I though I may as well have a go at making another quilt.

I had all the water-soluble glue washed out from my octopus and barnacle pieces so I gathered together some fabrics that I thought would work with them.


The orange behind the octopus wasn't working well so I cut it away. I needle felted some organza scraps in ocean colours onto some blue cotton. The background was a little dark so I added some white wool fibres too. This time I'm planning to bring my backing fabric onto the front of the piece and as I am incapable of cutting a straight line it will have a wavy edge. This should go well with the watery scene.


I'm going to applique on some fish cut from a commercial fabric.


The scene will break out of the border and I'll use the silk paper barnacles to add some great texture.


Tomorrow I'll needle felt some more colour into the boarder and start getting the motifs sewn down.

No comments:

Post a Comment