Thursday 30 May 2019

Fabric Sculptures Part 1


I'm busy preparing for my kids class next week where we will start making fabric sculptures. I like to be at least 1 step ahead of my students, so today I have been working on the background fabric layers for my example piece. I've used dyed, printed and painted fabrics that we made in class along with scraps of commercial fabrics and papers.


I'm working on a base of thick interfacing usually used in bags. The interfacing was covered with Bondaweb and fabrics laid on top collage style. When I was happy with the arrangement they were ironed into position. The next stage is to stitch all over it to secure everything permanently. I also used some thicker thread in the bobbin to add more texture and interest. You can see where the stitching is more easily on the back.


The next stage will be to cut them into sections to assemble into the sculpture.

I love this one (below) so much that I'm not sure yet if I will cut it or whether it will become a 2D picture instead.


I can't wait to see what designs the kids come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment