Sunday 16 June 2019

New Topic, New Sketchbook


Our next challenge for the 84 Contemporary Textiles Group is "Geographical". I've decide to narrow down that huge theme to international trade routes such as The Silk Road. I've been looking to modern day souks for inspiration along with, Islamic architecture, spices, ceramics and other items traded across the world.

The most photogenic spice is the star anise so I bought a packet and got photographing and drawing. I used my sketches to cut a new lino print block.


It's a new project so I'm starting a new sketchbook. I don't usually use spiral books because I don't like the separation the spine makes between the 2 facing pages. However this one was cheap and has fairly decent paper in it. I've given it a fabric cover so it's nice to handle now the plastic is covered up. The main disadvantage is that the A4 size includes the section of paper where the binding pierces through it so if I stick in a loose A4 page it's wider than the book. I've done quite a number of prints on loose paper which I've needed to trim down to make them fit.


Many of these pages are not finished yet but I thought you'd like to take a look at my work in progress.













These pages have pockets so I can store my pictures, photographs and templates.


Any mask or stencil I've cut out gets collaged into the book once I have finished with it. This page has a print on the left and the stencil used to make the print on the right.


Stencils on thick paper make great "window" pages.


Other pages have shapes cut into their boarder.


Tracings over photos are great for simplifying a scene. I've been colour mixing and sponge printing too.





I'm now starting to take my ideas into textiles.

This design came from a tracing of various sketchbook elements. I've pieced the background from some hand dyed fabrics.


I've also been Gelli® mono-printing onto fabric.


This one has been stuffed from behind to give the vase a real roundness.



These are examples of reverse applique and slashing.



Of course I've kept the pieces I cut out to use on something else.


Check back soon to see what I come up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment