Saturday 13 July 2019

Fibres West Part 1 - Surface Design with Mary Hettmansperger


I've just returned from the fabulous Fibres West art retreat. There were ten, 5 day, workshops to choose from and I was lucky enough to get my first choice in "New directions for surface embellishment" with Mary Hettmansperger.


During the class we had chance to explore metalwork and jewellery, discharging fabric, weaving and basket making, book making, and more. I concentrated on metalwork which I had never done before. I'm planning to incorporate my pieces into textile art. Above and below are some of my items displayed against fabric and paper collages to give you an idea of how I might combine them.




Here are some close-up pictures of my metal items.








We covered techniques such as annealing and colouring copper, connecting with rivets and other cold connections, shaping copper, making hinges, enamelling, adding silver, wire work, embossing, box making, bezels, and sewing with wire.





We also rusted, burnt and discharged fabrics for background pieces.

Mary is a fantastic, enthusiastic and hilarious teacher. Below are some of her samples from the class. If you get the chance to take one of her workshops be sure not to miss it!










No comments:

Post a Comment