Thursday 3 January 2019

Block Printed Pebbles


Today I've been continuing with design development for my exhibition pieces. Today I was working on my cairn image. What shape should it be? Angular or rounded? Pebbles evenly distributed or not? Perhaps it's even falling down?


I made a simple print block using styrofoam, the type of thing you often get from meat trays. I drew the lines into it with a biro and then cut the pebbles out. First I tried using the block as a rubbing plate onto paper and fabric. I like how the "noise" marks look like movement lines where the carins are about to tumble down!


I then used acrylics and block inks rolled over the plate to make tons of pebble prints. Some were printed in a cairn shape whilst others I've cut out to be assembled later. My print blocks looked really pretty at one stage so I photographed and scanned them to my computer and then printed out the image for my pebble collection.



I tried them out on some of my background landscapes to see how they looked.



I also used collage to try out some ideas for some angular stylised cairns based on a diamond shape. A strip of double sided tape along the centre of my paper made it really quick to build up some designs.


I've still got just a few more design experiments to do before I start the fabric creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment