Thursday 17 January 2019

More Play With Fabric Pebbles


Today I decided to quilt some of my fabric pebbles to make them more 3D. I also wanted to experiment more with colour so I also quilted some blank pebbles using plain cotton. Once the quilting lines are in it's easier to paint the sections as the stitching keeps the colours separated. The pebble above was painted with acrylics and Posca pens. I added a little textile medium to make the paint flow and to make it washable.


I added some extra colour to some of my acrylic pebbles using watercolour pencils and Inktense pencils. I used textile medium to activate the colour rather than water to make it washable. The fabric medium is also more viscous than water so the colours don't run together too much.



I tried a Gelli® print over a quilted pebble. The colour mostly picked up on the raised areas which was what I wanted. It's difficult to see until I cut the pebble out though. I also tried masking off my Gelli® plate with strings whilst taking the print.


I've been thinking about how to attach the pebbles to the background. I could easily sew or glue them on but I don't always like them to be raised above the background area rather than being part of it. With some scraps I tried "fabric marquetry" a technique which I've seen in wood. I cut the pebbles and their holes from pieces of similar thickness. When the pebbles are inserted into the hole they are the same level as the background. I ironed some interfacing on the back to keep them in place whilst I stitched around them.




Another way to keep the pebbles and background the same height would be to quilt the pebbles and landscape at the same time from a single piece and then paint them in. I'll try that next,

No comments:

Post a Comment