Wednesday 16 January 2019

The Traditional Cairn?


Today I tried a little traditional piecing. Knowing my inability to measure and cut accurately I gave myself a head start by using a jelly roll of batik fabric - these are already cut to 2.5 inches wide. I assembled some into a stripy quilt top but how did I want the cairn? Appliqued on?


Perhaps some prairie points for the stones? Maybe on another one inserted into the seams.


I decided to cut out a cairn shape right out of the quilt top and then fill the space with free-motion stitch on water soluble.


I probably should've stopped here, I like the contrasting black and white. By this point to top was very distorted. I decided to quilt it down onto some wadding to stabilise it. I decide to use some previously dyed wadding and let the colour shine through.

I like the idea of again breaking the rules by having the wadding show. I'll do some more experiments with this soon.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen
    Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post! I love the cairn shapes cut out of the jelly roll pieces and admire your creative and artistic approach to the whole process. Thanks for taking the time to post and share the traditional cairn story. ��
    Claire
    Also at http://chalcraftdesign.com

    ReplyDelete