Wednesday 27 March 2019

0 to Quilt in 5 Days - T Minus 4


I've been so busy getting my pieces ready for the 84 Group exhibition in June that I haven't had time to think about Quiltwest. With the deadline for entries coming up in 4 days time I thought I'd better get started!

Casting my eye around the room I settled on the "images to be sewn" drawer which contains tons of my prints and digital images on fabric. Rummaging through I picked this vase Gelli® mono-print and this digital print which was also created from a Gelli design. I wanted to add some more fabrics so I chose these batik prints in oranges. I used jelly-roll strips to save cutting time.

I've used the quilt-n-flip method to assemble the top. This is really quick and great if you can't sew straight stitch-in-the-ditch because the top is both pieced and quilted at the same time. Seeing as I hate doing edges and time is short I'll probably put an envelope style backing on this piece so I've just quilted straight onto wading for now with no backing fabric as yet.

Here's how it's looking so far:


Whilst searching about the room for something half started I also came across this tie-dyed fabric piece to which I have added mono-print on top.


Also hanging around were these barnacle type designs and an octopus on water-soluble fabric. They are made with silk paper and free motion stitch. I've washed out the fabric and they are now drying ready to see if I can combine them in some way tomorrow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment