Wednesday 27 March 2019

Things I like - Gallery Display


Sometimes the setting really makes an artwork or artworks more interesting than they would otherwise be. Take this sculpture and painting above. Not so interesting on their own but great when viewed together. I like seeing contrasting things placed together like the colourful pyramid sculptures and grey building I showed in a previous post. Other times similar artworks grouped together look great like in this Aboriginal painting display at the NGV.


These ladies in their outrageous frocks and the over-the-top light seemed comical to me displayed against very traditional paintings.


I took this picture because it's not often you see a quilt in an art gallery! I like the method of display which makes the hanging rod visible and a part of the artwork. I like the idea of using eyelets and not having to hand sew on a hanging sleeve! I think I will be trying something similar.



These huge sails were on display in the Melbourne Museum where they really made a statement hanging from the ceiling.



The museum also had many clever displays where objects were embedded between glass panels and could be viewed from both sides.



I think it's important to consider where an artwork will be shown before making it. I'd like to try making art to be displayed in unusual specific locations like ruins, forests, airports or rivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment