Monday 29 April 2019

Vases in Graphite


I'm trying to spend a bit more time sketching. Today I drew these wooden vases that I have in my dining room. I like to start by doing a blind contour drawing. With this type of drawing you do not look at your paper or lift your pencil up. It really forces you to look carefully and get to know the object you are drawing. I always find my final drawings come out better if I have made a blind contour drawing first.


Next I did a graphite outline drawing of the vases using a clutch pencil for fine lines. Before I shaded it I decide to trace the drawing with a black ink pen so I will still have the outlines only.


The pencil drawing was then shaded with ordinary 2H, 2B and 4B pencils. I used an eraser to make the highlights.


The sketchbook I'm using has sheets of tracing paper between each page of cartridge paper. The image at the top of this post shows the tracing overlaid on the drawing. Below the tracing is overlaid on the contour drawing. I like how you can get several different effects by combining the different types of drawings and tracings.


No comments:

Post a Comment