Tuesday 30 July 2019

Quilt n Flip Book Covers with Fun Seam Inserts


I'm busy preparing for teaching a class at Textile Arts and Mixed Media Inc. I'll be showing how to make a travellers journal from scratch with a fabric cover using the quilt n flip method. We'll be inserting all sorts of fun items into the seams. I've recently completed 2 samples for the class. This first book is the cover for my latest sketchbook that you have seen in previous posts. I used my fabric experiments, Gelli prints, lino prints and collage scraps to construct the cover. I like using the travellers journal because you can easily remove and re-insert pages; great for when you are doing wet messy work.



In this second example I wanted to see just how many different types of items I could trap in the seams. If you can sew through it then it can be trapped in a seam - fabric, paper and thin metal all work. If the item has a hole in it you can thread it on a ribbon or a string and sew that into the seam too (like the large metal washer). For non sew-able items that don't have any holes you can trap them under a sheer fabric inserted into the seam; I have trapped a delicate leaf skeleton this way..




If you are interested in coming along to the workshop (which is part of the TAAMMI open day) please contact the group through their website or Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment