Monday 8 August 2022

What Should I hope To Achieve From My Artist Residence?

 

Image by Blue Diamond Gallery

I was thinking about my upcoming artist residence and wondering what my goals should be? What should I aim to achieve? I’m sure the organisers over at WAQA and the Stitched and Bound exhibition committee have the goal of promotion of the association (there’s a free plug link girls!) but what of the goals of individual artists? I went looking on the internet to see what other artist say about getting the most out of a residency. There was surprisingly little to find.

Many residencies have a “live in” component where artists can really make the most of immersing themselves in their art without any interruptions from their everyday life, some are even fully catered! Unfortunately for me this residency is not one of those. However one of my goals of this residency is to really have a large amount of uninterrupted time to get into a project even if I do have to go home and make dinner each night. Having the time and space to fully explore a theme will be wonderful.

Other advice is to explore (and be inspired by) the local area around the residency. But this is Midland! Say no more. A piece of advice I will be taking is to catch up with other artists working at the same time at the gallery and be inspired by what they are doing. For the first week I’ll be sharing the studio with fellow quilt artist Tiiu Stojanovic. I can’t wait to see what she’s making. There are also other artists working at the gallery and I’ll be taking a look at what they are working on.

The last piece of advice I’ll definitely be following is to have a plan but don’t worry if you go off in a completely different direction. Knowing me it’s surprising I have a plan at all; I’m much more interested in process and exploration than in having a finished piece or new body of work.

Keep an eye out here to see how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment